Saturday, September 11, 2010

WonderFALL Weekends

I don't usually post much on the weekends BUT I might just start posting some yummy recipes here and there! Everything about Fall is so fun - even the food. I love when the fresh apples start to pop up at little stands everywhere. Recently on our weekend getaway over labor day we found some honey crisp apples for sale. I whipped up some side pies! Mine are really simple. Cut up the apples, cook in a skillet on stove top on medium high with a tblspoon of oil and a buncho' butter. I wait until mine are starting to get soft and then I add some sugar (you can use a mixture of white and brown- i just use white) Sometimes I even use splenda if I'm trying to do 'better." Stir that all up in the skillet and then sprinkle cinnamon over it all and let cook some more. NOW here's my FAVORITE part... I use caramel syrup! YUMMY- Just when the apples are starting to get done ( I like to leave mine in their form.. many people mash them up- that is good too) If I'm using the syrup I leave them and then pour the syrup all over. Let them cook just a few minutes longer. It makes the caramel really gooey!
For my 'pies' i keep it really simple and use canned biscuits!
Now this is just one of my favs too in the fall. I love spiced cider BUT I cant have so much of that lately b/c of all the sugar BUT this is a great alternative! Orange and Black Tea. (Or you can just use regular tea and fresh oranges.) I DO BOTH! ;-) I love that orange flavor and spice. To make this SIMPLE spice tea boil 6-8 tea bag in about 4-5 cups of water for a few minutes. Turn off heat and remove the tea bags. Throw in a cinnamon stick and a teaspoon of spices. ( i just used cloves this day) Go ahead and sweeten it too- White sugar is YUMMIEST of course but for me these days I used Splenda so I could have as much as I wanted! Cut up some orange slices to put on top. Let steep for about 5 minutes. You can even leave the burner on 'low' or just off.
I have to confess- it made a really cute picture but the reason I don't have an 'after ' shot is because when I cut into my orange- I realized it was a grapefruit! ha! I didn't have oranges! ;-(

1 comment:

Shawn said...

Hey Tonya!

Those pies and cider look yum-o! You are such a good cook and scrapper!!!

Custom Scrapbooks

Fall Fun Layout

Twitterpated Level 2 Workshop

These Level 1 Paper Packs are great for making cards too! Cut them up (email me for the guide) grab some ribbon, gluedots, a good sentiment stamp and get started! Fast cute cards! I use them for 'everyday' stuff!

Level 1 Cards using Perfect Day